Too obsessed with Jane Austen? Is that even possible?
Probably all of us on this site would answer that question with a resounding No! How could one possibly be obsessed with the greatest writer ever? Your family and loved ones, however, might have a different opinion, especially if you are guilty of any of the following:
- You have three children, two girls and a boy. They are all named Darcy.
- You started a petition to make December 16th a national holiday.
- You speak to yourself with a British accent, even though you hail from the United States.
- Your family never asks you what you want for Christmas. It’s a rhetorical question by now.
- Your dog, whom you do not greatly fancy, is named Wickham.
- You are the proud author of a ten page term paper listing the differences between the 1995 and 2005 film versions of The Greatest Book Ever Written. With footnotes.
- At least half of your wardrobe consists of high waisted dresses with low necklines, but you only have two or three events a year where you can actually wear them.
- You know exactly how to play commerce, whist and loo.
- You grieved when you first discovered that Austen only wrote six major novels. Years later you’re still in mourning.
- You can convert between British guineas and pounds and your native currency without using a calculator.
- If horses and buggies were good enough for Jane Austen, they’re good enough for you too!
And last but not least:
- You are in search of a dark, brooding, emotionally unavailable man with a superiority complex to be your life companion.
Feel free to add your own “You Know You’re Too Obsessed” items to this list by commenting below. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
On a personal note, life has been exceptionally busy this last month or so. There are many changes coming to my full time job, and a member of our immediate family faces a serious illness. Besides those things I’m considering making another try for my third degree black belt in December, and of course my writing goes on in my “free” time! I hope next month to give you a definite date for the release of my newest novel, titled (for now) Duty Demands. Until next month, keep reading, and may your obsession with Jane Austen never cease!